Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Award of the Month

For this month, DTF is recognizing Michael Joseph Wiseman for his efforts in providing a total of 150 hours of community service in the past year. He has contributed his time and effort into fund raising and community-building events such as Habitats for Humanity, Children’s Miracle Network, American Red Cross, and Relay for Life. Due to his efforts, DTF caught up with him to get some insight on why he focuses his time on community service. DTF interviewed Michael on October 1, 2008.

What motivated you to contribute 150 hours of community service?

I felt the need to give back to the community because society has given me so much. I have been blessed enough by having a family that is there for me when I need them. I am also lucky that I have enough resources to attend college. I also want to help out those less fortunate than me.

What life experience has given you this kind of motivation?

I believe strongly in my religion. I have been a Catholic all my life. In this religion, it is important to help others in need. I was also raised to believe that it is my responsibility, if I can, to help out other people who are in dire need of help.

My dad has always told me that helping others is one of my main responsibilities. He always wanted to install in me a sense of generosity. My mom always said that it is good to be thankful for what I have been getting.

When I was a child, I saw my parents contribute their time and effort to the needy. In fact, I have seen them volunteer their time in our church’s soup kitchen. In it, they cook and provide homeless people with food. This helps reinforce the lessons they have been trying to teach me relating to community service.

Do you plan to continue on contributing your time to community service?

I do because it has become of a habit for me. I have gotten used to volunteering my time for a good cause. I just don’t feel right if I become selfish of my time. I believe that in the end, God will recognize that I have done what I can to help others.

Besides community service, what else do you do on your free time?

Since I’m in college, I try to focus on achieving high grades in my classes. I am currently majoring business information systems and finance. As you can tell, I have a lot to deal with in regards to my schooling. In addition, I also play rugby for the rugby club at Illinois State University. I play as a “winger.” A winger’s main responsibility is to catch the ball and run as fast as possible to the end zone. Besides school and rugby, I also like to work out. I work out at Gold’s gym. I try to work out 6 times a week.

Do you have a girlfriend?

Yes. Sorry, girls, I’m taken. My girlfriend’s name is Betty. We have been dating for two years.

If you know anyone who deserves to be recognized in their efforts to better his or her community and environment, please let us know at downtofrat@gmail.com.

No comments: