Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sorority Girl of the Month

The sorority girl of the month is Rebecca Lynn Murphy. She is an active member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority at Illinois State University. DTF interviewed her on October 1, 2008.

Tell me about yourself.

I was born on December 26, 1986. I am 21 years old and I’m currently a senior at Illinois State University. I am majoring in Theatre Education. I was born and raised in Champaign, IL. I attended Centennial High School. For my future plans, I plan on student teaching in the fall next year. Afterwards, I plan to work somewhere in theatre in Disney World. Then I plan to return in the Champaign, IL area to teach theatre to high school students.

Right now, I am currently dating Keith DeDecker. He is a Sigma Chi at Illinois State University. We have been dating for a long time now. In regards to my siblings, I have an older sister and younger brother. My older sister’s name is Katie Murphy. She is 23 years old. My younger brother’s name is Ryan Murphy. He is 17 years old and is currently in high school.

I also had a dog in 3rd grade. His name was Bailey and he is a west highland, white terrier. But during my senior year, Bailey had gotten sick and my family put him to sleep.

If you would like to read more about dogs, DTF recommends visiting Lovin Dogs 4 Life.

What extra curricular activities were you involved in high school?

In high school, I was involved in several extra curricular. First, I was a high school cheerleader for my school for four years. In fact, I was the captain during that time. In cheerleading, I was a flyer my freshman year. Afterwards, I rotated positions from being the tumbler, base, and back spot. Besides being a cheerleader, I was also in the high school dance team for 2 years. I also joined the Thespians, a theatre student group, for 3 years. In this club, I held the president and secretary position during my stay. Lastly, I was also a part of the student organization in my high school. I basically was the class representative during my tenure.

Tell me about your experiences in the Greek community:

Well, I am currently an active member in the sorority, Gamma Phi Beta. I joined during the fall of 2005, my freshman year. My pledge class is Alpha Theta. I always wanted to join a sorority because of my parent’s influence. My dad was a Phi Kappa Psi during college. He attended Indiana University. My mom also attended Indiana University. She was a member of the Chi Omega sorority. In addition, my mom also worked the Chi Omega sorority house at the University of Illinois as chapter advisor.

What positions did you hold in Gamma Phi Beta?

I held a few positions. First, I was the sorority’s song chairman for a year. My responsibilities included teaching all of our new members all of our ritual songs and regular chants. I help them learn these songs for the benefit of the sorority. I was also the financial vice president for year. My responsibilities included balancing the sorority’s checkbooks and writing checks for the philanthropies Gamma Phi Beta was participating in. In summary, I was in charge of the sorority’s financial responsibilities.

No comments: